Miami Bankruptcy Lawyers

Debtor Education - Courses Required in Personal Chapter 7, Chapter 11 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy

The Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 (also known as BAPCPA) brought changes to the Bankruptcy Code including Debtor Counseling and Education Requirements. With limited exceptions, people who plan to file for bankruptcy protection must take a Consumer Credit Counseling course before filing their bankruptcy case and a Financial Management course after their First Meeting of Creditors in order to be eligible for a bankruptcy discharge. The first course must be obtained within 6 months before filing and these courses must be obtained from a government-approved organization.

Debtor courses are offered on-line through the Internet, over the telephone, or in person, and these courses are available in English and Spanish.

Only debtor education course providers that have been approved by the U.S. Trustee Program may issue a Certificate of Completion.

Debtor education course providers are not credit counselors.

Know who you're dealing with! The competent paralegals at Orshan, P.A. can help you find a debtor education agency that is approved in the Southern District of Florida and that meets your needs.

Be confident. Contact Orshan, P.A. today for more information.

Free Credit Report - Use a Reliable Source Before You File Chapter 7, Chapter 11 or Chapter 13

The competent paralegals at Orshan, P.A. can help you obtain your credit report. You can also do this yourself by following the guidelines from the Federal Trade Commission (

A credit report includes information on where you live, how you pay your bills, and whether you've been sued or have filed for bankruptcy. Nationwide credit reporting companies sell the information in your report to creditors, insurers, employers, and other businesses that use it to evaluate your applications for credit, insurance, employment, or renting a home.

To order your free annual credit report, visit, call 1-877-322-8228, or complete the Annual Credit Report Request Form  and mail it to: Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281.

We can help you if you need more information! Your Bankruptcy Trustee may request a copy of your credit report from you. You may want assistance to clean up errors in your credit report. Contact Orshan, P.A. today to learn more!

Take the First Steps Toward Financial Freedom

Request Your Free Case Evaluation

Get Started Today